Wednesday, 22 November 2017

Ojukwu Jr Formally Dumps APGA For APC, Explains Reasons


Emeka Ojukwu jnr, son of late Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu on Wednesday revealed why he dumped the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) for the All Progressives Congress (APC)

He explained that his decision was driven by his believe that the South East must occupy its rightful place in the national governance and the political decision making process of the country.

Ojukwu jnr said this when he was formally received into the APC by the party’s leadership led by the Party’s National Chairman, John Odigie-Oyegun at the National Secretariat in Abuja.

Ojukwu jnr had earlier made his declaration in Awka at a rally for Tony Nwoye, the APC candidate for the November 18 Anambra governorship election.

Speaking on what motivated him, he said: “I decided to lead by example. I have been talking about this for a while and I decided it was time to take the step forward.

“It is a challenge. There are some people that will not be happy about that, but you have to be bold, take a step and let people understand where you are coming from and why you are doing what you are doing.

“APC have been seen in our part of the country as the ‘other’ and I believe we are now showing that the APC is a party that can contend equally with any other party in the South East and do just as well.

“We now know that Igbo people are part of the APC, the APC are part of Igbo and Igbo are valued part of the Nigerian nation

.

“We hit around the 25 per cent mark in terms of votes in the Anambra election which is not bad given where we are coming from. I think in the future, we are going to do a lot better.

“Let me say this about my father; we shouldn’t take our history and our past to be shackles that hold us in one place, rather they should be stepping stones and building blocks to get us moving towards the future.

“When my father came back from exile, he had the option to join an ethnic-based party but he chose to move to the centre and there was a reason for that.


“You need to be at the table where decisions are being made. If you are not there, you will always get the short end of the stick, you will be marginalised. That is the message I want to help to propagate.

“This is a much bigger party than the one I came from, so I put myself at your service to help us achieve our dreams. For me, anyway that I can help to push this message forward, I am ready.”

Speaking, Oyegun said the new member will be a major asset in APC’s ongoing drive to mainstream the South East in the national governance and political decision making.

Odigie-Oyegun said: “I thank you for choosing the APC, a family that is practical in its political orientation. It is significant that you chose the platform of the final rally at Akwa to make your very significant statement.

“I noted particularly the interpretation of your illustrious father’s interpretation of joining the NPN and the significance of being part of the Party’s decision making process such that for anybody who seeks to represent a large group, nationality of that nature, it is critical that he seeks to be where decisions that may affect his people are made.

“I hope the lesson went home, it is a lesson we will continue to propagate, particularly in the south east because we hold the region very dear.

“I have no doubt that your appearance there (Awka) also contributed significantly to the progress we have made in Anambra state and we are looking forward to being able to propagate that to the other South East states as we start approaching the next set of elections.”



Daily Post




Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Here Are The 8 Players Zinedine Zidane Wants Real Madrid To Sell


Zinedine Zidane has reportedly told Real Madrid president Florentino Perez that he wants to get rid of eight players.

The French coach is believed to be planning an overhaul of the squad following an undesirable start to the season.

Los Blancos are already 10 points adrift of rivals and La Liga leaders Barcelona after 12 games.

According to Diario Gol, Gareth Bale is on the list, as well as Luka Modric, Kiko Casilla, Marcos Llorente, Jesus Vallejo and Achraf, all of whom could be up for sale next summer.

As well as that, Zidane is reportedly prepared to send Lucas Vazquez and Dani Ceballos out on loan when the transfer window reopens in January.



Bale, who has been linked to Manchester United, moved to the Bernabeu from Tottenham Hotspur in 2013 for a then-world record fee of £85m, but injuries have hampered him in recent seasons.

So far in the 2017-18 campaign, the Wales international has made just seven appearances in all competitions.



Sportsmole

Couples Allegedly Steal And Sell 2-Year-Old For N500, 000; Arrested By Police Afterwards


The Imo State Police Command has nabbed a couple, Ifeanyi and Amarachi Ugorji, for allegedly stealing and selling a two-year-old boy, Ikechukwu Nwachukwu, for N500,000.

Ifeanyi and Amarachi were arrested on Wednesday in Aba, Abia State, following investigations.

It was learnt that prior to the incident, the couple had sold their first child for N200,000, on credit to a man in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Andrew Enwerem, parading the suspects on Wednesday, described the incident as worrisome, adding that the child was rescued unhurt and reunited with his parents.



Enwerem said the couple kidnapped and sold Nwachukwu for N500,000 to one Ifeanyinwa Duru, who later resold the child to one Mrs. Chidinma Emmanuel, for N700,000.

“On August 28, 2017, Ifeanyi, 23 and Amarachi Ugorji, 18, conspired and kidnapped Ikechukwu Nwachukwu, who is two years and six months old, from his parents in Umuozu- Uguiri in the Isiala Mbano LGA.

“The two suspects, after the kidnap, started demanding ransom from the parents of the child. When the parents of the kidnapped child could not provide the money, they opted to sell the child to one Ifeanyinwa Duru, 39, at the cost of N500,000. Duru, in turn, resold the child to one Chidimma Emmanuel, 42, at the cost of N700,000.

“The two buyers were arrested in Aba following painstaking investigation, while the child was rescued unhurt and has since been reunited with the legitimate parents by the command.

“The suspects have confessed to the crime and investigation has been concluded. The syndicate will soon be charged to court.

“The Commissioner of Police, Chris Ezike, has instructed all heads of the tactical units of the command to go all out against those who trade in human beings, especially children, who have done nothing wrong except that they were born into a society that has lost its values.”



Daily Post


Monday, 20 November 2017

Governor Ambode Reveals How There Will Be 24/7 Power Supply To Residents In 2018

Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos, has stated that plans are at advanced stages to generate constant electricity supply for residents of the state in 2018.
He noted that the state government had already devised strategies to short-circuit power generation, transmission and distribution to ensure there was “24/7 power supply to residents.”
Ambode spoke at a recent interactive session with members of the business community and informal sector, a statement by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Habib Haruna, said on Sunday, November 19.
“Presently, we have less than 1,000MW in Lagos and the fundamental issues remain with generation, transmission and distribution. Transmission is still owned primarily by the Federal Government. But in Lagos State, we have become creative and we have done Independent Power Project through which we were able to generate 47.5MW which was distributed short-circuiting transmission.
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos state

“So, if it works, does it look like a template we can now use to get power freedom or what we call power security? If we say we are the fifth largest economy in Africa and we are not in control of how power is generated in an economy that wants to move from fifth to third, then something is wrong.
“So, what we are saying is, let’s find a way to short-circuit them within the ambit of the law,” the governor was quoted as saying.
Ambode noted that the state government was also talking with electricity distribution companies operating in the state to supply 24/7 power to residents at a higher tariff, subject to agreement of all stakeholders, while government would be the guarantor of the people.

Punch



60-Year-Old Woman, 4 Others Die After Consuming Local Gin In Imo

No fewer than five people, including a 60-year-old woman, have been confirmed dead after the consumption of a local gin sold by one Uwadiegwu Eze, a native of Umunakara community, in the Ngor-Okpala Local Government Area of Imo State.
Names of the deceased were given as: Daniel Nwosu Jnr. 45; Friday Osuji, 70; Ifeanyi Njoku, 31; Adanna Iheanacho, 60, and one Benjamin Okoroafor.
Punch reported that trouble started when residents, who patronised the gin shop between Tuesday, November 14, to Friday, November 17, started having body stiffness and partial blindness which resulted in deaths.
According to the report, the shop owner, Eze, fled after he was informed that consumers of his product were dying.
60-Year-Old Woman, 4 Others Die After Consuming Local Gin In Imo

The State Ministry of Health, on getting the information, sent a team headed by the Director of Centre for Disease Control, Dr. Okeji A., to the community.
Many youths from the community, who drank the local gin, were said to have queued up in their numbers upon sighting the ambulance of the state Ministry of Health, waiting to be taken to Owerri, the Imo State capital.
Okeji lamented that people still patronised distillers who used methanol to boost production of the gin in order to increase their profits.
Toe Elechi, a former Commissioner for Information and Strategy in the state , who is an indigene of the community, thanked the health ministry for prompt response.
He also told the newspaper that security operatives were already on the trail of the owner of the gin shop.


Daily Post


#Zimbabwe: Read Full Text Of President Mugabe's Address To His People

President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe on Sunday, November 19, dashed the expectations of his compatriots as well as the international community when he bluntly refused to resign.


The 93-year-old Mugabe shocked the world during a nationwide broadcast Sunday night amid reports that he had agreed to step down after leading the country for 37 years.
However, in a dramatic turn of event last night, the nonagenarian failed to back down after the country’s military announced his ouster from power.
His speech below…
“Fellow Zimbabweans, I address you tonight on the back of a meeting I held today with the nation’s security forces command element.
This meeting which was facilitated by a mediating team… followed an operation mounted by the Zimbabwean Defence Forces in the week that has gone by, and which was triggered by concerns from their reading of the state of affairs in our country and in the ruling Zanu-PF party.
Whatever the pros and cons of the way they went about registering those concerns, I as the President of Zimbabwe and as their Commander in Chief do acknowledge the issues they have drawn my attention to, and do believe these were raised in the spirit of honesty and out of deep and patriotic concern for the stability of our nation and for the welfare of our people.
President Robert Mugabe

As I address you I am also aware of a whole range of concerns which have come from you all as citizens of our great country and which deserve our untrammelled attention.
Today’s meeting with the command element has underscored the need for us to collectively start processes that return our nation to normalcy so that all our people can go about their business unhindered in an environment of perfect peace and security assured that the law and order prevail as before and endure well into the future.
If there is any one observation we have made and drawn from events of the last week it is the unshakable pedestal upon which rests our state of peace and law and order, amply indicating that as Zimbabweans we are generally a peaceably disposed people and with a given-ness to express our grievances and to resolve our differences ourselves and with a level of dignity and restraint so rare to many other nations. This is to be admired. Indeed such traits must form the path of our national character and personality. Yes, a veritable resource we summon and draw upon in times of vicissitudes.
The operation I have alluded to did not amount to a threat to our well-cherished constitutional order, nor was it a challenge to my authority as head of state and government, not even as commander in chief of the Zimbabwean Defence Forces. To the man, the commend element remained respectful and comported themselves with diktats and mores of constitutionalism.
True, a few incidents may have occurred here and there but they are being corrected. I am happy that throughout the short period the pillars of state remained functional. Even happier for me and arising from today’s meeting is a strong sense of collegiality and comradeship now binding the various arms of our security establishment. This should redound to greater peace and offer an abiding sense of security in communities and in our entire nation.
Among the issues discussed is that relating to our economy, which as we all know is going through a difficult patch. Of greater concern to our commanders are the well-founded fears that the lack of unity and commonness of purpose in both party and government was translating into perceptions of inattentiveness to the economy. Open public spats between officials in the party and government exacerbated by multiple conflicting messages from both the party and government made the criticisms levelled at us inescapable.
Amidst all this, flagship projects already adopted by government stood stalled or mired in needless controversies. All this needs to stop as we inaugurate a new work culture and pace which will show a strong sense of purpose and commitment to turning around our economy in terms of our policies. The government remains committed to improving the social and material conditions of the people. Government will soon unveil an entrepreneurial skills and business development program which will empower and unleash gainful projects at our growth points and in rural areas.”




#AnambraDecides2017: Former VP Atiku Speaks On Governor Obiano's Victory

One time Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar has reacted to results of the Saturday, November 18 governorship election in Anambra State, Southeast Nigeria.
Current Governor Willie Obiano was on Sunday evening declared winner by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Obiano, a candidate of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, defeated candidates of the All Progressives Congress, APC, and that of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, with wide margins.
Atiku Abubakar


The incumbent governor won in all 21 Local Government Areas of the State.
Reacting to the development, Atiku said the true winner of the election are Ndi Anambra.
He wrote on twitter, “Congratulations to the people of Anambra for a peaceful election.
“The true winners today are Ndi Anambra. I hope the losers join hands with the winner to build the state.”

Daily Post