It is no longer a news that Alhaji Yusuf Maitama Sule is dead. The orator from the North died on Monday, July 3, 2017 in Cairo, Egypt. Nigerians from all walks of life have continued to shower praises on the Dan Masani of Kano since his demise.
There are some things needed to be stated about this one in a million statesman.
1. Maitama Sule was born in 1929 in Kano State. He was the third child of his parents.
2. Dan Masani of Kano was named Yusuf because after the father of a Chief of that time known as Madakin Kano Mahmudu. This Madakin Kano took care of Maitama Sule before he died.
3. The late orator started his elementary education in the late 1930s. He secured admission into Kaduna College in 1943 at the age of 13. He completed his college education in 1948.
4. Maitama ran for election together with his former school teacher Malam Aminu Kano in 1954.
5. The great Kano man became Minister of Mines in the first Republic while Sir Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was the Prime Minister. He later returned to Kano and held the position of Commissioner for local government affairs under the administration of the governor of Kano state then Audu Bako. Maitama was also active during the Murtala Mohammed's military rule.
6. He contested against Shehu Shagari for the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) presidential ticket but lost out to the latter who eventually won the final election.
Nigerians, both young and old will remember this great and detribalised man.
See some of his photos below